- Click the button to “Register” – either the yellow button on the lower left of the homepage or the button at the top left of every page on the website.
- Fill in the required fields and any optional fields that you wish to fill out (all of these can also be filled out later on your profile).
- You will receive a confirmation email soon after you have submitted the registration form. Please be sure to respond to this promptly in order to complete the registration process! Otherwise your registration will not be activated and you may have problems signing in. If you don’t get the confirmation email, it may be blocked by a spam filter – in that case, check your spam filter for blocked messages and unblock it, or send an email to Jack Miller (support (at) learn (dot) coop) so that he can activate your account.
- Note that the Buddypress software replaces spaces between words with dashes. Thus, your Username that you type to log in will not be “Jane Doe” (for example), but rather “Jane-Doe”. If you have trouble logging in, try your username with a dash instead of a space.
Once you are logged in, you can modify your profile (e.g., by adding a picture – an “avatar” – or by filling out some of the optional sections you did not fill out before), add friends, send messages to other members, join one or more groups, contribute to the coopvalues.com knowledge base, participate in forums, etc.
Please do at least one or two small things to ensure that you get listed as an “active member” and become visible to other members!
back to top
Your profile and networking functions
Once you have successfully registered and logged in, you will find “Howdy, [your username]” at the very top right of the page. Placing your cursor there provides quick access to the main functions of the site:
- Edit My Profile (allows you to add a picture of yourself, or to otherwise change your profile)
- Log Out
- Activity (shows your recent activity on the site)
- Friends (lists your friends on the network, and invitations to become a friend)
- Groups (lists the groups you are in, and invitations to join groups)
- Messages (allows you to read messages sent to you, the messages you sent, or to compose a new message)
- General (allows you to change your account email or password)
- Notifications (allows you to determine on what occasions emails are sent to you by the system)
- Profile (provides access to your profile)
- Forums (shows your activity on forums)
- Buddydrive (lets you access your file manager, upload, organize and share files. See Share Files)
- Docs (lists the documents you created and lets you create new ones with various share and view options. See Create a Doc)
Finding people – Connecting with friends
To find people, go to the members directory page by clicking the “People” tab on the general menu just beneath the Commons Abundance Network logo in the header. There you will be able to
- Browse the directory
- Search for names or keywords in the search area at the top of the page.
- You can also find people by clicking on highlighted keywords of your profile. These will give you lists of people with the same keyword in their profile. Surrounding keywords relevant keywords of your own profile with [brackets] will highlight them and make them searchable.
- There is also an advanced profile search available on the members directory sidebar where several keywords of the profiles can be selected.
Once you found the name of a member you would like to be your friend, click on the “Add Friend” button to send out a friend request; once these persons have accepted your request, you are friends on the network.
The friends connection makes it easier to send messages and to share documents on the system. The friend requests and private messages will be notified by email if you have configured it so in your notification settings and will appear with the number of notifications in a blue circle next to your name at the top right of the site.
Groups and Collaboration
To browse and join existing groups:
Go to the page by selecting “Project Groups” under the Activity tab of the general menu, just beneath the Commons Abundance Network logo in the header. There’s a tag cloud under the group directory header that lists the major themes under which the groups are tagged. By clicking any of these themes you will see all the groups related.
Once you find a group that you wish to join, it’s either a Public Group (then just click on the “Join Group” button and you’re in), or a Private Group (then you have to click on “Request Membership” so that site administrators can allow you in).
To inviting people in a group
Invite new members to the group by clicking on the “Send invites” button on the left and either selecting members from the list or typing names into the “Search for members to invite” box.
To start a group and collaborate:
Groups are work spaces where people can learn together and collaborate. To have an idea of possibilities, have a look at the Sample Project Group.
There are various tools for collaboration which are best used within a group context accessible from the Toolbox tab on the main menu. To find out more, read Collaboration – Start Here. For example, you will be able to embed Google docs and Titanpads for collaborative editing of documents and Trello Boards to manage projects.
coopvalues.com Wiki – the aim of this wiki is to provide an information resource allowing people to find appropriate organizational forms and techniques in order to meet any human need equitably and to use any resource sustainably, that is, to work toward abundance. In addition, through linking of coopvalues.com member profiles, it will become possible to find people from whom to learn or with whom to collaborate in order to put solutions into practice. At present, it exists only in fledgling form, and we invite people to add to it!
Using coopvalues.comWiki as a source of information
You do not need to be logged in for this. You can search for information in three ways:
- start from the main page and click on any category of need, organizational form, or resource that you find interesting, and from there on to specific approaches to creating greater abundance;
- click on a term in the tag cloud in the left sidebar; which will provide a list of those pages that have been tagged with that term (which means that this is a major topic of that page) (note: this feature is not working properly now; we are waiting for the next version of Buddypress to fix a bug here!);
- use the wiki search function (in the left sidebar of each wiki page), which will show you every page on the wiki where this term is mentioned (regardless of whether it’s discussed at length or only briefly mentioned).
We are also working on a graphic, “mind-map” interface in order to make it easier to find information and how different types of information are interlinked.
Using coopvalues.com Wikito find members with interests related to each page
To find out who contributed to writing a coopvalues.com Wiki page, click on the “History” tab at the top of a page, which will lead you to the profile pages of contributors.
To help find people with related interests, we are looking for good ways to link coopvalues.com Wiki pages with member profiles.
Editing coopvalues.com Wiki pages
To do this, you need to be logged in.
If you find that a particular coopvalues.com Wiki page should be improved for any reason, you can edit them.
There is an “Edit” button along with the “Read” and “History” button at the top of every page. You click on the Edit button in order to start editing.
To provide you with help while editing, the CKEditor Users Guide and the Guidelines for coopvalues.com Contributors at the sidebar of every wiki page can be opened as new tabs.
Adding a link to your own profile from a coopvalues.com Wiki page
To do this, you need to be logged in.
If you have an interest in the topic of a page, if you can offer advice, goods or services related to that topic, or if you have contributed to a page, please provide a link to your profile! Detailed instructions are provided in the Guidelines for coopvalues.com Contributors, specifically the section on Member Publications and/or Links.
This will help people with similar interests find you.
Creating a new coopvalues.com Wiki page
To do this, you need to be logged in.
There are currently far more gaps than content in the coopvalues.com Wiki! If you find a gap that you can fill, please do so!
It will be best to first familiarize yourself with the coopvalues.com Wiki! structure, which you can do both by consulting the “Guidelines for coopvalues.com Wiki! Contributors” and by browsing around existing coopvalues.com Wiki! pages.
For detailed instructions, check the Guidelines for coopvalues.com Wiki Contributors.